been been looking through them. Next semester, we're going to start
editing the stories, and I want to find specific problems, have
students find an example of the problem, then correct it. I can
probably do this with a forum, where each forum post is kind of
problem, and they have to reply with an example of such a problem (URL
to story, before and after.) Here are three kinds of problems to get
them started.
1. Lack of specificity.
"A man" "in a certain town" "on a certain day in August"
What is his name? Which town? What precise date in August? What day of
the week? What time?
2. Spelling mistakes. Are rife!
3. Vague titles.
Actually there are many titles with spelling mistakes or bad grammar.
I know it's easy to edit the content of a wiki page, but I'm not sure
how easy it is to edit the title of the page, as the title is the key.
I think you have to create a new page with the new title, then copy
the content over, and then delete, archive or orphan the old page.
I'll elicit other kinds of problems (such as subject verb agreement),
and get them to add them as a new forum post as necessary. To do this,
they will have to learn the names of different kinds of mistake.
No comments:
Post a Comment